Professor Brian Ruscio demonstrates a Counter to the Guillotine when your arm is free. A neck-only guillotine choke is a dangerous submission that finishes opponents quickly. It is popular in the UFC and other MMA events. Due to this fact, it is also a popular hold with in street fights with individuals who may not know any martial arts. This counter will be effective for MMA, BJJ, or Self Defense for this reason.
Vital Keys to the Technique:
- Tripod on your toes and the top of your head
- Address the choke, relieving pressure
- Hug all they way around to the opponents opposite shoulder (I call this “elbow deep”)
- Don’t waste energy squeezing. Transition all of your weight to the shoulder on the opponents neck to perform a choke of your own.
- The opponent will either let go to push you off, tap, or pass out.
- If it takes more than a few seconds to get this result you may not be positioning yourself properly.
Remember! Our first defense should be to never hang our head. If caught, we should pass the guard immediately. If these aren’t viable options, then this technique will serve as an effective defense or counter, possibly submitting your opponent.
Note: A similar technique known as the “Von Flue Choke” can performed from side control.
Techniques are for demonstration purposes only and should not be performed without a professional instructor present.